Tuesday, May 17, 2016

We're on Africa Time now

Yours truly driving the riverboat


Yesterday evening we arrived in Johannesburg, South Africa after a 16-hour plane ride. It seemed surreal as we touched ground on the landing strip and saw the famous “velt” that was detrimental to British forces in colonial times.

“That’s the reason British started wearing khaki,” the passenger in the seat next to me said, gesturing toward the tall brown grass. “The redcoats were too easy to pick out.”

After a short layover, we boarded a much smaller plane and landed in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe before lunch. I use the timestamp “before lunch” specifically, because I learned as soon as I went to pay for my visa and pick up my luggage we were now on Africa time. Nothing seems slow, but the sunrise, sunset and meal times direct the activities of the people who live and subsequently the large numbers of tourists who visit every year.

Although most of the eight counters at the immigration station were manned, nobody was in a hurry. They causally asked you questions, looked over every inch of your passport and customs declaration before stamping a page. Even the receipts print on Africa time.

The sunset cruise was on the Zambezi, the fourth longest river on the continent, but without a doubt one the most gorgeous. We saw crocodiles, hippopotamuses, multiple birds I could not remember the name of and other animals. I even got to drive the riverboat. (Raymond be proud of me).

Afterwards, we had dinner at the Ilala Lodge. The menu and the company were fabulous. We tried lamb, ostrich steak, warthog pork chops and kudu Wellington with South African wines. I also tried amarulla, a coffee liqueur that is wonderful.

Our class website will be up and running soon with stories from the trip, so I will be sure and let everyone know when it is uploaded.

Until next time,

Lyndle


No comments:

Post a Comment